Sunday, April 16, 2006

Avast Ye Scurvy Scum

I'm sure everyone knows why I look the way I do. You know - the the crazy long hair and the unkempt beard. I wasn't doing it to win a good looks contest. I wanted to be a pirate. Ever since I was little and even still as an adult, the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland was my favorite. Before seeing the movie in 2003 I had made up my mind that it was going to be a great film, and it was. Before I saw it for the first time I never imagined that I would be or could be an actor, but as we were leaving the theater I told my wife that if there was going to be a sequel then I was going to be in it. I know she thought nothing of the statement since it seemed random but she couldn't see the fire that started inside me. I was so fascinated with how cinema can make anything a reality. I never really thought about it before but I had assumed that to be an actor you needed to have friends or family in Hollywood, which I did not. Nevertheless, I spent the next two months on the internet trying to figure out how to get into the "club." I'm sure my friends and family thought that when I found it impossible, I would give up. But, I'm stubborn. Within a couple months of seeing P1 (the first Pirates of the Caribbean), I had my first role as a waiter in a Hallmark channel movie. I didn't have any lines but you could see me clear as anything. I built upon that, doing background work and local commercials. I met people such as Richard Gere, Brooke Sheilds, and Lou Diamond Phillips, who is a great guy. Then came the news that there would be two sequels to Pirates. I spent a lot more time on the internet researching the crew and casting agents. I found who was doing the background casting and went to LA to register with them. I stopped cutting my hair and I shaved for the last time at Thanksgiving 2004. In December 2004 there was an open casting call in Hollywood and I was excited as can be. My wife went with me to the cattle call. About 1100 other people wanted to be in the sequels too. My wife and I saw the line that went on for a couple blocks and she said "Honey, look at all these people. Do you think you really have a chance?" I smiled and responded "Yep. It's my turn." Her question didn't bother me because any normal person would have thought the same thing. But I had made up my mind that I was going to be a pirate and nothing else mattered. If they were going to pick someone out of 1100 people then they would have to pick me. They never tell you anything right away so I had to wait. After a while I heard they were ready to assemble a cast. I had bought a second cell phone to use for acting stuff only so if it rang, I knew it was for a good reason. Well it rang one day in January 2005 and I felt like I won the lottery. They said I would be used as an extra for sure but they wanted me to go to Disney studios the next day to audition for Gore Verbinski, the director. Besides my wedding and my childrens births, this was the best day of my life. I auditioned to be a pirate in Captain Jacks crew and was excited and very impatient. Once again they didn't tell me anything right away. They planned to start filming in March 2005 and film both sequels back to back. In February 2005 they realeased two lists of names of about 25-30 that would work between both movies. My name was on the 2nd list. I did the math and it came out to be about a 2.7% (yes, 2point7%) chance of me being picked, but I told you it was my turn. I went to Disney studios two more times to meet with the directors and assistants. I have to be honest though - After a year and a half of no grooming and not having worked on the film yet, I really began to wonder if it was going to happen. I did have some doubts but I wasn't going to give up. I had been told that I would probably be used in P3 but not P2. That was fine as long as they got me in but the days continued to pass. Then came April 12, 2006 and my special cell phone rang once again. I was told that I needed to come right away and get fit for a pirate costume. They needed to add a scene to P2. It was supposed to be completed already since it will be in theaters July 7, 2006. It is apparently an important scene though and a set up for P3. So I will be working in P2 afterall and they said I would be used quite a bit in P3 which resumes filming in August 2006. The news could hardly be better. It's finally going to happen. I'm a pirate! Yo ho, yo ho! To everyone that has been excited for me, I thank you very much. It has fueled my fire. The support from my wife has been great. Tuesday April 18, 2006 is when I film for P2 with many more days to come later on P3. I will post pictures for those interested. If you want a moral to the story, here it is. You've all heard it before but I proved it - You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. G'day Mateys!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

That's awesome! I can't wait till you get to shave however!

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hurray! my mom told me on sunday, but i'm still so excited for you that i would pee my pants out of excitement if it wasn't so disgusting and frowned upon.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home