Thursday, September 20, 2007

Philadelphia Adventure - The Domus Party

The swankiest place in Philadelphia, the Domus, had their Grand Opening party this evening. Laura and I merited an invite. I can only assume it's because we already live here. I took a few photos and have a few comments to make so let's begin!
Outside, in the courtyard entrance, the usual nice garden area was transformed into a very nice garden area, complete with some very fancy obviously rich people. One of the fanciest things was the Valet parking. At first I thought, "Wow, that's very high class." until I realized there is absolutely nowhere to park around this place. I took my dog Sasha and my daughter on a quick walk before the nuttiness of the party started. Sasha had an encounter with another dog right out front with a lot of barking and chaos. My daughter gleefully yelling "Doggies!" as I tried to struggle with the stroller and the freakishly strong dog. Larry and Kevin two of the concierges quickly took action and helped me get the gang inside. So in other words, I started of my party experience on a high note.
This is Larry. He is crazy good at his job. He knows my name, my apartment number, my kids name and my dogs name. It's good that he is the Face of Domus, because he does it well. And I'm not just saying this because the staff at Domus are now reading my blog...

Pause--I realized this isn't very funny so I'll try to step it up.--Unpause.

I started the party out in the Ice Cream room. Yes you heard me right. The Ice Cream Room. And not just Ice Cream. Super fancy, best Ice Cream ever Ice Cream. The toppings were plentiful and outstanding. I had the solid gold nuggets as a topping.
I then popped into the show room where I was introduced to the massive amounts of alcohol they were offering to the guests. Not being a drinker myself I was happy to see that there was a plenty amount of soda available. The person behind the counter didn't think it was very funny when I asked him which is the best soda to go with fish. Those wine people are kinda snobby.
I then went around the pool area where there was a live band and some dancers gyrating and a whole lot of drunk people swaying to the music. There were a few people doing what I'm sure they would refer to as dancing. It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry described Elaine's dancing as "A Dry Heave set to music". There was a lot of that.
I hung out for a minute hoping that someone would drunkenly fall into the pool. That didn't happen unfortunately.
Next, the food. There were two cooks set up in the Barbecue area cooking some food. I didn't get a change to eat any, but I did take some pictures. For all the commoners out there reading my blog, this is the kind of spread the fancy people eat. This picture, I just realized doesn't do it justice. There were people walking around all over the place with trays full of food that I couldn't even begin to guess what it was. At one point a woman offered me "Fish Balls". I'm pretyt sure fish don't have balls, but I didn't want to chance it.

Now, on to the Sushi bar! Sushi is to the super rich that hamburgers are to the commoners. People get very excited about it. The line for the sushi bar was very long with people talking about sushi and money, or money sushi, or power and sushi, or maybe it was money, power and sushi...(now that's a show I would watch). I didn't quite get every conversation. If there was a hamburger bar, I would be all over that, talking about hamburgers with anyone standing near as loud as I feel like, because dang it! I like hamburgers! Alright, Tangent..back on track. There was a police officer sampling the Sushi. I can't make a joke out of it, but I thought it was funny.

Down in the common room the four TV's were on and fancy people milling about.
I may have caught this picture of the TV in the middle of a subliminal message. There was a DJ downstairs blasting some super loud dancy type music. My daughter really enjoyed dancing to it. Over all the party was very fancy and very nice. The staff at the Domus really have done a lot of work to prepare and it went off very well. My only complaint is this. On the invite it said "Fancy Gifts" Here is a picture of the "Fancy Gift". It was some Domus water and mints that we get everyday for free and some Starbucks items from the brand new Starbucks that just went in on the corner. With all the fancy and ritzy people and things and atmosphere I don't consider these fancy. They are nice, don't get me wrong. It's cool to have the Domus bag even. I just was expecting like a Domus money clip, or a new car, or one of those hairless dogs. Now those are fancy. And kind of creepy. Maybe it's good that we got what we did. The Domus mints were replaced with Domus fortune cookies on the desk. I didn't have one, but if they were thinking, the fortunes should have all read something like "You will be moving soon", or "You will find yourself in University City in the near future", or "You will find love on arbor day." That last one was just to throw them off. One of the small but fancy touches was an elevator operator running the elevators all night long. I am assuming again, but I don't think the rich people like to press buttons. Unless it's a buy or sell button on their giant stock money making machines, or the trap door in their offices which I'm sure they all have somewhere.
To wrap it all up. Nice party, well done. It was even quiet enough during the party in our apartment for our kid to stay asleep.
On a side note, Laura and I got a web cam so if anyone wants to chat with us over the net, let me know! Till next time, peace out.

Tracy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for concierges in general and Larry specifically. Looks like it was fun. We have a cheap ol' camera, so we should set up for some chatting sometime.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't notice any caviar at this posh party. A party without caviar is like a baseball game without a diamond. Rich people don't know how to flaunt their wealth these days. Most rich people keep their mink coats in the closet and just wear them around the mansion like a bathrobe. Oh wait, my bathrobe is a mink coat. How silly of me. Party on, dudes.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude....Free Food....and all you ate was Ice Cream?

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An Ice Cream Room . . . gaaaagh (Homer drooling sound).

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home