Sunday, September 16, 2007

Philadelphia Adventure - Independence Hall Trip

We took a trip to Independence hall on Saturday. Unfortunately we made it there late in the day and couldn't get tickets. We are planning on trying again on a weekday when it's not so crowded. It's a bit funny because it's on Chestnut street at about 6th street. We are also on Chestnut street at 34th street. Kinda cool. Any how, here is my thoughts on the week.

We see these banners around the "Historic" district everywhere. I personally feel that it's representing the good State of Philadelphia Flipping me the bird with one hand and on the phone with the other as if to say "Take a hike youz!" If you'll look closer you can see that the woman in the photo actually has two fingers up representing the number two for some reason. Unfortunately this is also the British version of flipping the bird, which I suppose is appropriate because that's what our Founding Fathers were doing in essence with the Declaration of Independence or the Ultimate Bird Flip.

This is a pretty cool monument. It says "Abraham Lincoln stood here when he raised the flag on Independence hall February 22nd 1861". I felt a sense of wonder as I stood there also looking up at the flag. I thought "Wow, the great emancipator, the greatest President of our great country, the 5 dollar bill guy stood here on this very spot. I could sure go for a Cheese Steak."
This is a picture of my now favorite statue in the world. It is of a man dressed in a colonial type costume pointing at the giant building straight across for some strange reason. The reason it's my favorite statue is because the only descriptive wording the single word "Barry" on the pedestal. It makes me think, who is this Barry? Why does he get a statue? What the heck is he pointing at? I don't think I've seen a statue before that has risen more questions then this one.

Then there is the great statue of George Washington standing outside the Independence Hall. I really don't have much to say about this one. It was neat. And the picture Laura took of it turned out nice.

We also managed to sneak a view of the Liberty Bell from outside the building it rests in. This made me exclaim, "Look, it's that thing! How neat!" It was all very exciting to be there on the site where some of the greatest men of our country stood together and united as one to declare independence for all. I wonder what this place must have looked like back then, before the skyscrapers and construction sites. I also wonder how much of it was original. Were the cobblestone streets we were walking on the same ones that George Washington walked down as he sent text messages to Martha on his cell phone? (L1b3rty r0x! - 1776!).

It was nice to see some of the history that this city has to offer. I can't wait to see more of it. Thanks for reading. Until Next time.

Tracy

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool walk! Well, except for Lady Bird Philly. You make me laugh - hey, Tee you could become a tour guide - Tracy's Take on Philly. As for the mysterious Barry, it's actually part of a secret founding father's code. You know they had symbolic clues to find hidden treasures of the world. You also know that some of the founding fathers couldn't spell worth a darn (half of them used f instead of s) so 'Barry' actually means 'Bury'. So Barry the Statue is pointing to where they burried some of the treasure. Too bad there's a building on top of the treasure now. You could use a treasure.
Actually, Barry is Commodore John Barry who is also known as the Father of the Navy and a Revolutionary hero several times over. Unfortunately, his contemporary, John Paul Jones got remembered more than Barry did (even though Barry did lots more hero stuff and was very tall) because John Paul Jones sounds cooler than John Barry. Too bad Barry didn't have a middle name. (Aren't you glad you do in case you do hero stuff someday?) So now you know. Thanks for the tour!

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commodore Barry used to use my yacht while he was in the Navy. Rather! Just remember, when a person gives you money, take it and RUN!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the tour idea. I know I'd go on that history tour.
(And yes, I think that's why we have the peace symbol as two fingers - we like to flip the Brits a bird every chance we get!)

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is this "bird flipping" you speak of? It sounds rude and not at all the kind of thing one person should do to another. And now I am off to rest my middle finger for a bit.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Sdub said...

Nice statues! We never get the good statues in California...

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who moved my money bag?

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home