Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Independence Hall Part Deux

Laura's Aunt and Uncle Suzy and Stoney came out to visit us in Philadelphia a couple of weekends ago and we all went to Independence Hall. I am just now getting to the blog about it! The picture of our group is purposely missing our daughter. I don't want pictures of her on my blog for safety reasons. If you are family and would like to see the ones with her in them, let me know and I'll think about your individual security clearance status.
On to Independence! We actually made it in the building this time! I must say it was quite awe inspiring to stand in the same room that our fore fathers secretly planned the rebellion from England. I felt so inspired by their actions that I planed a rebellion from our tour group. I, unlike George Washington, could not get the rest of the tourists to unite for the greater tour good. It mostly consisted of me yelling things like "Give me liberty and get me a soda!" in the back of the group while people tried their best to hear the tour guide. It turns out that our tour guide was very knowledgeable and personable, so I can understand why no one followed me to freedom. I learned a valuable lesson on independence that day. I didn't write it down however and quickly forgot it. "Oh well", I sometimes think to myself when I strain to recall the lesson. Maybe next time I'll write it down, in big bold letters like my favorite declaration of independence signer, Herbie Hancock.
A very neat observation I did happen to hear is that the building was 60% original materials. I hope this part in this picture wasn't, because I accidentally hit it with the stroller, breaking it.
Standing in that very room I could almost feel the presence of some of the greatest men this country has ever seen. I could feel the hard wood floor beneath my feet, see the light as it poured into the room from the windows. Feel the same hot sticky air that hung in the air. Then I remembered all the layers of clothing they had to wear, and the aparent lack of bathing and deodorant...I could then almost smell the body odor (or it was the "Out of Town" couple standing next to me) and became overcome with a feeling of wanting to really get out of there.
If you happen to come to Philadelphia on a Cheese Steak excursion, don't miss Independence Hall. They serve very fine Cheese Steaks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura - I like the hair color. Yours I mean.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah--hair looks good and you look fit! How on earth do you still find time to exercise?

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home